Spread the love

In the spring and summer, most of us are aware that the danger of being stung by a bee is always a real possibility. While such stings are painful to almost everyone who experiences it, the harsh reality is that many individuals experience more than just pain when stung. Individuals that experience more than just pain and slight swelling, may, in fact, have a more severe allergy to bee stings. These are allergies to stings that are so severe that emergency treatment may be required and this treatment may need to be sought extremely fast, to ensure the individual survives such a reaction. 

A mild reaction from a bee sting is normally characterized by a stinging pain and slight swelling; however, more moderate and severe reactions to bee stings do cause an individual to exhibit more symptoms. Symptoms that are indicative that medical treatment may need to be sought out include extreme redness and swelling at the site that gets larger over several days. If an individual is exhibiting symptoms of a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting, then emergency treatment must be sought to ensure the individual can survive. Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction include hives, flushed skin, difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat and tongue, dizziness, fainting, and loss of consciousness. 

While anyone can experience a moderate to a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting, there are a few factors that may increase one’s risk of suffering from such a reaction. These risk factors include having a previous allergic reaction to a sting from a bee and taking certain medications that increase the likelihood of having a severe allergic reaction such as beta-blockers. If someone has in the past had a severe reaction to stings, then there is a large likelihood that they will be carrying with them a bee sting kit. In this kit, will be a medication called epinephrine. This medication is injected into the thigh muscle if a severe reaction is occurring; however, even after the injection is given, the individual still needs to be transported to the emergency room for prompt medical treatment. 

Remember if you are ever in doubt as to whether or not a person is having a bee sting allergic reaction oak brook il, you need to seek out care by a medical facility. If you think that it is only a mild reaction, then you can treat simple stings at home. In such cases, you can remove the stinger by using a credit card, clean the area, apply ice for swelling, and take an antihistamine to lessen itching and swelling that may be associated with a mild sting reaction.

If someone around you is having a severe reaction, then the first step is to immediately call 911 for medical attention. While waiting for help to arrive you can remove the individual’s jewelry, administer the epinephrine if they have an emergency sting kit with them, and keep the individual warm and safe in the environment they are in. Deaths from bee sting allergic reactions do occur, but the more prepared you are to help yourself or others, the better someone or yourself who is stung will be.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *